What is DEAF SHIRU?
DEAF SHIRU is an organization that promotes understanding of hearing loss in Japan and Nepal.
Shuhei Kumagai, who is hard of hearing, met deaf people for the first time in Nepal when he was a university student and felt so welcomed in the deaf communities. As a result, he decided to found DEAF SHIRU after he realized “I want to create a society where people can laugh together regardless of their hearing levels.”
What we do
Why We Founded?
- 6% of the population are inborn deaf, late-deafened, or hard of hearing.
- There is no opportunity to “know and learn” deafness, and “communicate” with people with it.
- “Disability” is something that is ridiculed.
- The importance of revealing my hearing challenges.
- Smoother communication.
- A world where everyone smiles together regardless of hearing.
- The role of DEAF SHIRU.
I have more reasons, experiences, and feelings for DEAF SHIRU, which I couldn’t mention just here.
Please click the button above to check it out.
Founder: Shuhei Kumagai